Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Recording the passage of time with Michelle Jackson-Mogford

Hi all!
Today I want to share with you a couple of my Glitz layouts aswell as tell you a little story! Are you sitting comfortably? OK! let's begin ....


1951

I'm asked one crafty question quite a lot 'how long have you been scrapping' and I always say, as most crafters do, since I was little. This page is inspired by my first memory of a scrapbook aswell as the fabulous Glitz designs Vintage love collection. When I was a little girl I remember spending hours looking through a scrapbook my mum made when she was a little girl. I was fascinated by all the old photos and the bits of victorian scraps and pictures she included. Today as a grown up scrapper myself I still find the book a constant source of fascination and now have it scanned page by page on my hard drive!


This is the scanned page that the photo I have used in my layout comes from and I love it even more that my Nanny's hand writing is on it, that's why I like to use hand writing on my pages, I think it is as much of a memory as the photo for me.

So what Glitzy goodness did I use? From the Vintage love collection I used love letters, velvet, damask (reverse side) and polka patterned papers. I also used the numbers from Save the Date clear stamp set (Glitz stamps are just fabulous!) A Vintage Love What Not and a Vintage paper layer.


I built up the layers by ripping, tearing, distressing and inking my pp's and stamped the date. I then used a water brush to pull in the ink to fill the outlined numbers.


To make my elements I made a polka dot mat for my photo, inked a piece of doiley, distressed the WhatNot and roughly tore the butterflies from the paper layer. I like the shabby chic look of these torn butterflies and also that you can see the text from the paper layer.


Assembling the layout I curled the wings of the butterfly and added them on silicon for dimension along with some paper flowers...


...and some vintage lace and ribbon. I love the fact that I am now able to scrap my mums scrapbook thanks to modern technology and fabulous Glitz products.

And so moving on to the here and now!


All the fun of the Fair

Last week my sister and 2 beautiful nieces came to stay and I took them for a dayout to a theme park. We had so much fun I wanted to record the memory straight away and what better paper collection than Glitz Maya!

I used Maya navy (reverse side), stripe, polka and patchwork. I also added into the mix some Glitz pink frosting, some Detour cardstock alphas and some Plum crazy Alphas aswell as my favourite teeny alphas in pink block and black round.


As I'm sure you can imagine I had lots of photos of the day so decided to include lots of small ones in my layout while using the bright colourful ferris wheel photo as a base. The Maya patchwork paper is great for adding little touches of all the colours in the collection when it's cut up and I used the patterned rectangles as small corner mats for my photos.


These small mounted photos I added to the right side of the layout on foam pads for added dimension, aswell as adding my journalling to the top right corner and a line of the yummy pink frosting, which is super easy to use as all the gems are attached on a sticky strip!


Then I added my title using a mix of Glitz Alphas. I love how all the different styles and colours work together and are linked by the super fab teeny alphas! A bit of rainbow ribbon which fits perefctly with Glitz Maya, I think, and some bobbles finished off my colourful fairground layout.

Looking at these 2 layouts side by side I love that they mark a passage of time recording two very different days out and that I was able to reflect that artistically using two very different Glitz designs collections.

I hope you enjoyed my litle trip through scrapping then and now with Glitz designs. Thanks for stopping by and until soon Happy 'Glitzy' Crafting

Love
M x

2 comments:

Unknown said...

absolutely stunning layouts. I just love the texture in both. Great job and thank you SO much for some inspiration

Lea L. said...

These are really gorgeous, Michelle! I love all the attention to detail!

♥Lea